When you think of Valentine’s Day, you likely think of red and pink hearts, roses, and romantic dates. While those are all fun, today we’re going to chat about how to love ourselves more starting this Valentine’s Day. But we’re not talking about bubble baths, golf trips, or spa days! Now is the time to refocus your energy on self-love activities that will help you become your best self!
But why do we want to be our best selves? And what’s the point of all this “self-love” talk? What it comes down to is our ability to love others well because we’ve taken care of ourselves. So, as we dive into self-love activities to consider, imagine that the people around you are better off because of the actions you take to elevate YOU.
Five Self-Love Activities to Start this Valentine’s Day
1. Focus on Mental Health
First and foremost, our mental health can make or break our self-love habits. We put this first because it’s such a key ingredient in this journey, and the activities that follow will all play a part in bettering our mental health. We want to start off, though, by offering a few specific mental health exercises to focus on making this a priority.
- Practice mindfulness. Need a place to start? Head to this article with 5 simple mindfulness practices to help!
- Do more of what you love. We’re all working so hard to reach goals, attend personal and professional events, run errands, pay the bills, and well … the list goes on and on. We encourage you to pick up a hobby that you love and find more time for it.
- Take a break and breathe. Did you know that there are breathing techniques that help with mental health? Not only will taking a break from your busy day allow your mind to rest, but studies have shown “that practicing breathing exercises and mindfulness can lead to better mental health and positive emotions.” If you need a place to start, head to this blog that includes eight breathing exercises to try. Find the one or two that you resonate with and make it part of your daily routine.
Self-reflection is key! Rather than having thoughts swirling around in your head taking up brain space, begin the practice of journaling. It will feel so good to get what’s on your mind down on paper. Here are prompts focused on self-love:
- What brings me the most joy?
- My ideal day looks like …
- What’s keeping me awake at night?
- What legacy do I want to leave behind?
- When do I feel most brave? Most happy? Most loved? Most inspired?
- Today, I am most grateful for …
Use your journal time how you’d like, but we encourage you to make it consistent practice.
3. Get Active
If you know us, you know that we love to head to the gym together nearly every day. We are VERY active and love working out regularly. But whether exercise is a passion of yours or not, the good news is that it doesn’t take much to show your body a bit of love. When you move your body with intention not only will you feel good about your effort, but your mental health will also thank you! Bonus points if you’re able to do your physical activity outside! A 20–30-minute daily walk is all you need to feel the benefits of movement.
4. Set Boundaries
“Boundaries” can mean anything. Whether it be time boundaries, people boundaries, physical boundaries, they are all important when making self-love a priority. Life is a balancing act, and there will be many times that you’re compelled to say “yes” to an activity, event, or obligation. But do you really need to say “yes?” Sometimes, “no” is the answer that will serve you best.
If you’ve never read “Boundaries” by Dr. Henry Cloud & Dr. John Townsend, it’s a life-changing book that will guide you in setting boundaries and embrace self-love.
5. Dream Big
When thinking of self-love activities, dreaming big may not be the first thing that comes to mind, but we want to change that for you. We love this quote by John C. Maxwell® that says, “When a person starts to talk about their dreams, it’s as if something bubbles up from within. Their eyes brighten, their face glows, and you can feel the excitement in their words.”
Dwell on your life values, vision, and passion because your heart will grow with your dreams!
A New Spin on Valentine’s Day!
This Valentine’s Day let’s approach loving others with a new point of view by allowing self-love activities to overflow from us to those around us.
And now that you’re glowing from the inside out, take that focus outward! Head to our blog, “Five Random Acts of Kindness that Won’t Cost You a Penny” to be inspired!